Monday, October 20, 2008

3 Work Hard Now, Enjoy Later.....Isn't It Too Late?

There are the parents that start off working hard so their kids can have a better childhood. Then there are those who just make it. No more and no less. These parents have different values. One would rather be able to provide more, and the other has more time on their hands to actually BE parents. Work Hard Now, Enjoy Later....Is it too late?
My sister is a great parent, and so is her husband. But they are working during most of their kids' lives. My sister works in San Francisco, lives in Sacramento, and trains it back and forth everyday. Her husband works about half an hour the wrong way--during rush hour its an hour or two from Sacramento. And they both come home tired and worn out. By the end of dinner, everyone is ready call it a day. No kind of family time. But somehow their kids learned the important lessons and still getting brought up well. The oldest nephew is so smart, but he got a lip sometimes. The middle one, my niece, is so attached to their babysitter. And the youngest boy, my favorite, learned my name first...even before "mom" and "dad." Yes their parents working hard, owning their own house, but two of their kids confused who their parents are right now. By the time my sister retires, the kids wouldn't be kids no more. They'd be starting their own family by then. 
When my sisters and I were younger, my mom didn't have a choice to work more or less. She worked about 20 hours a day and we just barely made it. Even  in the cheapest 1 room apartment for us 5 girls, we were still behind on rent. Our whole childhood, my sisters and I had to watch out for ourselves. Even now, the two oldest have their own families, I take care of myself and my lil sister. I promise by the time my mom decides to retire we'd all be out.

1 comment:

emely said...

now dats good parents! yup reminds me of my mom hardworking self! shyt takes alot 2 raise or start a family! it aynt bout da parents..its bout da kids!